Thursday, September 3, 2009

Creative Eating: Zuchini Pancakes

As some of you know, H has severe eczema especially on face. This along with some other concerns (ie irritability, colic as a baby and a small appetite) has lead us on a journey for his health. At this time he is corn free, gluten and wheat free, dairy free and a few other "frees". As you can imagine this challenges a lot of our western cooking to say the least! We have given up a lot of things but one thing that we cannot live without is pancakes...I guess my boys got that love from their mom! I have come across this great recipe today and thought I would share it. Of course, it is someone else's recipe that I modified to meet our needs. Whether or not you have special nutritional needs like H, most moms want to get more vegetables in their children's diet so here's a recipe for Sweet Zuchini Pancakes. They were delicious. I just finished cooking the last 2 and the kitchen smells like cinnamon!
http://cookingequipment.about.com/od/breakfastrecipes/r/zucchinipancake.htm

*Keep in mind, I made several changes to the recipe and they turned out delicious! I substituted the butter for canola oil, all the flours (corn and wheat) with brown rice flour and substituted 1and1/2 tsp cream of tartar plus 1/2 tsp of baking soda for the baking powder. I substituted 3/4 cup coconut milk and 1/2 cup water for the milk in the recipe.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Jenny!! I didn't realize you had done pulled back on so much. Friends who have kids with...stink, can't think of what it's called, but it's where they can't have any gluten - have shared how challenging it can be to eat like this. I'm amazed! And the sweet zuchini pancakes sound delish!! Wish I was there to help eat them. :-)

(Mom raved about your bannofi in an email this morning. :-)

Love you and so proud of you sis! Has all this started to help with Hamilton at all?

The Hawkins said...

wow! i am so proud of you for being so creative! i know it isn't easy to cook all the time plus try to incorporate new things! love you!!